This turkey and rice soup was so easy to make. And we needed a change after eating turkey sandwiches for lunch and reheated turkey for dinner yesterday (and lunch again today). So, I decided to do something a little different and make this hearty soup.
(Leftover) Turkey and Rice Soup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 2 stalks of celery finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 2 cups cooked white rice or whatever rice you prefer
- 3 cups of turkey cubed
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and onion; cook until soft.
Stir in the flour; cook 1 minute. Slowly pour in the broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, and cook for 1-2 minutes while stirring frequently.
Add remaining ingredients and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.